2.1 The types of personal information AWSN collects from you depend on the circumstances in which the information is collected.
2.2 AWSN may collect contact details including your name, organisation details , address, email address and phone number.
2.3 When you use the AWSN website, we may collect web site usage information such as the IP address you are using, the name of your Internet service provider, your browser version, the website that referred you to us and the next website you go to, the pages you request, the date and time of those requests and the country you are in. Except where you provide it to us via the website, we do not collect personal information such as your name, mailing address, email address or phone number when you are browsing our website.
2.4 If you provide sensitive information to us for any reason (for example, if you provide us with information about a disability you have), including where this information is requested by us, you consent to us collecting that information and to us using and disclosing that information for the purpose for which you disclosed it to us and as permitted by the Privacy Act and other relevant laws.
2.5 In addition to the types of personal information identified above, AWSN may collect personal information as otherwise permitted or required by law.
3.1 AWSN collects personal information in a number of ways including via telephone, email, mail, or through the AWSN website or social media platforms. The most common sources from which we may collect your personal information are:
● directly from you when you provide it to us (for example when you deal with us through our Slack group, website, event services or social media);
● from publicly available sources;
● from our program partners, including conferences, universities and university clubs and societies and from the students at those universities and university clubs and societies;
● from third parties (for example, from referees if you apply for a position as an employee or Volunteer with us).
4.1 The purposes for which we use and disclose your personal information will depend on the circumstances in which we collect it. Whenever practical we endeavor to inform you why we are collecting your personal information, how we intend to use that information and to whom we intend to disclose it at the time we collect your personal information.
4.2 We may use or disclose your personal information:
● for the purposes for which we collected it (and related purposes which would be reasonably expected by you);
● for other purposes to which you have consented; and
● as otherwise authorised or required by law.
4.3 In general we collect, use and disclose your personal information so that we can work together, operate our program and further our mission and objectives.
4.4 Some of the specific purposes for which we collect, use and disclose personal information are as follows:
● to process donations;
● to maintain contact with our donors;
● to recognise the support of our major donors, sponsors, supporters and partners in our publications (however, if requested, we will not display the donor’s details);
● to add you to a mailing list or to respond to your request for information (including via the AWSN website or via an email you send to us);
● to provide you with newsletters, promotional material or other information about AWSN and its activities (including by electronic messages such as email or SMS messages);
● to monitor, report on and improve our services and program and to conduct research relevant to our services and program;
● to monitor and provide feedback on our AWSN Members;
● to stay in touch with our alumni and to
● run our alumni programs;
● to verify your identity;
● to consider an application by you to become a AWSN Member;
● to consider you for a job at AWSN (whether as an employee or contractor or volunteer) or other relationship with us;
● to provide goods or services to you or to receive goods or services from you;
● to address any issues or complaints that we or you have regarding our relationship; and
● to contact you regarding the above, including via electronic messaging such as SMS and email, by mail, by phone or in any other lawful manner.
4.5 We may also use and disclose your personal information for the purpose of direct marketing to you where:
● you have consented to us doing so; or
● it is otherwise permitted by law.
4.6 You can unsubscribe from our direct marketing, or change your contact preferences, by contacting us (see our contact details in section 11 below).
4.7 If you have agreed to participate in promotional activities regarding us or our program, your name and image may be used by us in promotional materials for the AWSN Program.
5.1 We may disclose your personal information to third parties in connection with the purposes described above. This may include disclosing your personal information to the following types of third parties:
● our contractors (including mailing houses, secretariat services, marketing agencies, insurance providers, website and data hosting providers, cloud storage providers and other IT suppliers);
● other persons who perform services for, or in connection with, us (including for market research);
● companies who may use your personal information in order to tailor electronic advertising to you (e.g. on a webpage) in relation to our services;
● our accountants, insurers, lawyers, auditors and other professional advisers;
● any third parties to whom you have directed or permitted us to disclose your personal information (e.g. partners or referees);
● if you are a AWSN Member, to conferences and partners that participate or consider participating in the AWSN program;
● if you are a AWSN Member, to airlines and accommodation providers for the purposes of flights and accommodation for conferences;
● third parties that require the information for law enforcement or to prevent a serious threat to public safety; and
● otherwise as permitted or required by law.
5.2 AWSN will not sell your personal information to any other organisation for that organisation’s unrelated independent use.
5.3 Where we disclose your personal information to third parties we will use reasonable commercial efforts to ensure that such third parties only use your personal information as reasonably required for the purpose for which we disclosed it to them and in a manner consistent with the Privacy Act.
5.4 If you post information to certain public parts of our website, to our social media pages or other digital communication services (e.g. AWSN Slack, social media), you acknowledge that such information may be available to be viewed by the public. You should use discretion in deciding what information you upload to such sites.
6.1 The security of your personal information is important to us. AWSN will take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
6.3 Please notify us immediately if you become aware of any breach of security by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
7.1 We try to maintain your personal information as accurately as reasonably possible. We rely on the accuracy of personal information as provided to us both directly (by you) and indirectly.
8.3 Each time you access the AWSN website, the AWSN server may deliver certain customised information to you based on the data stored in your cookie. Third party vendors may show our ads on sites on the Internet and serve these ads based on a user’s prior visits to our website and other Internet activity. AWSN may also use analytics data supplied by third party vendors to inform and optimise our ad campaigns.
9.1 You can access the personal information we have collected, if we have retained it, subject to any exceptions under any relevant law. An application in writing may be required to access your personal information. We may require that the person requesting access provide suitable identification and where permitted by law we may charge an administration fee for granting access to your personal information.
9.2 If you become aware that any personal information we hold about you is incorrect or if you wish to seek access to or update your information, please contact us (see our contact details in section 11 below).
10.2 When contacting us please provide as much detail as possible in relation to your query, comment or complaint.
10.3 AWSN will take any privacy complaint seriously and any complaint will be assessed by an appropriate person with the aim of resolving any issue in a timely and efficient manner. We request that you cooperate with us during this process and provide us with any relevant information that we may need.
10.4 If you are not satisfied with the outcome of our assessment of your complaint, you may wish to contact the Privacy Commissioner (click here for information).
11.1 If you wish to seek access to or correct or update any personal information we hold about you, or unsubscribe from or change your contact preferences in relation to our direct marketing, you can contact us at the email address email@example.com.
If you wish to make a privacy complaint, make a comment or query about privacy, you can contact us at the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.